Overview Of Pole Saw
Pole saw which also known as a telescopic pole pruner, is an adjustable device that can be used to gain more reach.
They are very similar to a regular chainsaw only the bar/blade extends instead of retracts.
In addition to being able to get closer to whatever you’re working on, they also help reduce back strain, making them a perfect tool for anyone who needs a little extra height.
the extra reach comes in handy for multiple reasons, whether you’re trying to get branches out of the way when mowing the lawn or when working on a project in your yard.
Pole saws can also be used for pruning since they allow you to get closer without having to climb a ladder and risk losing your footing.
Even if there is an elevated place nearby, you can take it with you and do the pruning wherever you need to.
As mentioned earlier, they also decrease the risk of back strain since your feet are planted firmly on the ground while using them.
This is one reason why this tool is useful for gardeners who want to thin out their flowerbeds by removing any branches that are getting in the way of their plants or lawnmowers.
Another reason why you might want to use a pole saw is for outdoor cleanup after storms.
Numerous types of trees can pose serious problems when they’re damaged after a storm.
Large branches may need to be removed in order to prevent them from damaging your house and any nearby power lines.
How Does it Work?
A telescoping pole saw is separated into three parts: the saw itself, a blade guard, and a locking mechanism that allows you to adjust the length of the rod up to about 16 feet.
Once you’ve adjusted it to your desired reach, you can lock it in place so that it stays.
It is a very useful tool when it comes to landscaping and tree trimming. the telescoping pole saw is separated into three parts: the saw itself, a blade guard, and a locking mechanism that allows you to adjust the length of the rod up to about 16 feet.
You can lock it in place so that it stays at whatever length you desire. If there are branches or trees that need trimming but they’re too high off the ground, the telescoping pole saw allows you to reach those areas without having to use a ladder.
Transmission – Some saws also come with a power-take-off mechanism that works as a kind of transmission between the engine and the chain on the blade.
When you engage this feature, it will start to rotate whatever it is connected to, which in this case is the chain on the blade.
Hydrostatic Transmission- This is another type of transmission found in some pole saws.
Rather than a power take-off mechanism, it uses hydraulic pressure to transfer energy from one part of the tool to another.
There are valves inside that control what moves and how much at any given time.
Benefits Of Using A Pole Saw
- Comfortable to use for long periods of time since it reduces strain on your body by keeping you in an upright position while trimming.
- Because of the length, you don’t have to lean over as much when using one, therefore, reducing the chances of back problems.
- You can get closer to the tree than you would with a normal chainsaw which reduces the amount of time needed for cutting down trees and trimming branches.
- They are relatively inexpensive when compared to other types on the market.
How To Use A Pole Saw
- Make sure that you are familiar with how your pole saw works before attempting to use it on a job.
- If the bar has oil on it, wipe off any excess, or else this could cause problems later.
- Wear gloves to protect your hands, long pants, and closed-toe shoes so you don’t get injured by any rock or debris that might fly up towards your legs when cutting the limbs off of the tree or bush.
- Start at the base of what you are trying to cut and then move the blade slowly towards it.
- Once you get the blade near whatever it is that you are cutting, make small cuts and gradually work your way around the limb until there is no more wood to cut.
You should not press down hard on the saw as this will cause it to become less effective and could damage your arm muscles as well.
Advantages Of Using A Pole Saw
- No bending over which eliminates stress on the back and neck.
- I can get close to things that are difficult to reach with other tools.
- Can get into tight spaces that would be more difficult or impossible with other tools.
- Great for trimming branches in trees – even tall ones!
- Not very expensive when compared to other tools of this type.
Disadvantages Of Using A Pole Saw
- Can be a little dangerous if you are not very familiar with how they work.
- It May require 2 people to operate depending on what it is that you need to cut.
- If the bar gets into a crack or crevice, it can break off and send pieces flying towards your face which could cause a lot of damage.
- If you are not careful, you can cut your leg or arm with the blade which could cause a lot of damage.
- You may have to use two hands when operating depending on the model that you get.
- It’s inexpensive and easy to use without having to worry about mixing gas and oil.
- Also, they can be used for a variety of jobs such as pruning bushes around the house, cutting tree limbs up high in order to clear out gutters, or other things that can’t be easily reached by hand or with a ladder.
- Pole saws are not meant to be used for a very long time and they can wear your arms out quickly so you have to take a break of ten or you can end up with sore muscles.
- They also don’t work as well as some other tools since the cutting motion doesn’t go straight down towards the ground, you have to arc the blade back and forth in order for it to cut.
Overview Of Hedge Trimmer
Hedge Trimmers” are tools that are designed for the purpose of trimming thick branches that grow on bushes and trees. It uses a serrated blade in order to cut through thicker pieces of wood which is more effective than using a normal saw because it doesn’t require as much energy in order to get through thicker branches.
You can adjust the length of the blade depending on whether you are cutting taller or shorter bushes, trees, etc.
How Does It Work?
- They use a swivel system at the end of the tool that allows you to get into tight spaces easier and it also reduces the chances of injuring yourself when using them.
- Hedge trimmers do not require gas or oil in order to run, meaning that they are easy to start up right out of the box without having any extra tools needed in order for them to work.
- When buying a hedge trimmer, make sure you get one with an adjustable blade so it can be used on multiple types of bushes and/or trees easily.
- Before starting your hedge trimmer, check for anything around where you’ll be cutting such as rocks, dirt, or other debris since this could damage the blades and cause them to break.
- If your hedge trimmer starts becoming hard to use or you notice that it is cutting unevenly, then chances are that they may need a new blade that is easy to replace depending on the model that they have.
Advantages Of Using A Hedge Trimmer
- They can cut through thicker branches than most other tools such as saws and they will also do the job faster.
- You don’t have to worry about mixing gas and oil so therefore they are very easy to start up right out of the box without having to buy extra special equipment in order for it to work.
- Can be used easily on multiple types of bushes for example if your yard has a variety of different kinds.
- Depending on the model that you get, they can have adjustable blades which means that they will be easy to use for cutting bushes and trees of any height or thickness.
- They are also affordable tools considering all their advantages over other gardening equipment since some saws cost upwards of $200 – $300.
Disadvantages Of Using A Hedge Trimmer
- If not used carefully, you could cut yourself with the blade so make sure you wear proper safety equipment when using these tools.
- It May require 2 people in order to use depending on what it is that you are cutting through either due to the weight of the branches or because you need someone else in order to steady them.
- Don’t work as well when cutting tree limbs since the branches are much thicker and harder to cut through.
- Doesn’t cut branches down to a small enough level in order to use them for compost or mulch afterward to reuse around your yard.
- Can require a lot of time depending on how long the branch being cut through is but it will still get the job done.
How To Use A Hedge Trimmer
- Wear thick gloves when using a hedge trimmer because it has very sharp blades which could injure your hands if they are exposed.
- Wear long pants and closed-toe shoes because rocks, twigs, branches, and other things can fly off the bushes when they are being cut which could cause some serious damage to your face or legs if you are not wearing heavy clothes.
- If the shrubbery that you are cutting has a lot of small branches, you will have to get rid of them before cutting any larger branches.
- Use a sharp blade that is clean and replace it if it becomes dull or rusty because blades can become damaged during use which causes them to be less effective at cutting the bushes and trees.
- Prime the machine for about 5 seconds by pulling on the blade only, then release it and pull it back towards your body in order to get the engine going.
- Don’t push the blade into the branch as hard as possible because this can cause it to break off and send pieces flying towards your face which could cause damage.
- You can cut more branches at a time with the hedge trimmer because there is a serrated blade that is stronger and thicker than a regular saw blade.
- It doesn’t require as much energy to get through thick branches because of the serrated blade design.
- You don’t have to sit in one position for a long period of time which can cause it to be tiring.
- Some models are not as powerful as some gas-powered saws which mean you might have to make more passes through thicker branches before they are cut.
- You can’t use it for very long because it can wear your arms out quickly and cause some muscle soreness if you do try to use them for a very long time continuously.
- If the battery dies, then you need a backup plan which is usually another type of saw on hand in case you need to cut something that is too big for the battery-powered model.
Comparison Between A Pole Saw And Hedge Trimmer-
The pole saw is often used for pruning trees, shrubs, and bushes around your home or workplace.
Although you can cut thicker wood with them than you would if you used a chainsaw, it is not the same type of tool.
You will still be able to use it with limbs that measure up to 2 in diameter and/or between 6 in and 10 ft in length.
The pole saws, like their name suggests, can extend from about 4 ft to roughly 16 ft; this makes them very versatile and able to reach a lot of objects with ease.
They adjust very easily and they cut on both the push and pull motion.
The hedge trimmer is another tool that you should have if you have trees around your home or workplace.
Trees can get out of hand very quickly, so it’s important that you keep them under control by cutting off branches that are too long, or taking out any dead wood.
The hedge trimmer is a very useful tool to have around your home because it allows you to do this with ease.
It can cut through most types of wood easily, including both soft and hardwoods.
The blades themselves will rotate at about 2100 revolutions per minute, so they are able to cut much faster than other blade types.
Verdict- From the given discussion above Pole Saw is better for trimming trees and it’s also helpful in pruning bushes or shrubs around your home or workplace.
Whereas Hedge Trimmer is only useful in cutting hedges which creates a hedge inside your house holding garden beds.
Which One Should You Choose Or Why?
I would choose a Pole Saw rather than Hedge Trimmer because a pole saw has the ability to cut thick branches which makes you able to finish your work in a short period of time.
Even its blade rotates at 21000 RPM, so it cuts through woods very quickly and can do heavy-duty works easily without any problem.
Whereas Hedge Trimmer is useful only for hedges around your home.
That means if you have some trees with long branches you will need two tools for that job, first a pole saw and second a hedge trimmer which increases your expenditure of money for buying different types of tools and also increase the difficulty level of the work.
This also increases your time in working on some projects.
Pole Saw Features
- It has a powerful 15 amp motor that can cut through wood easily and it also provides a speed control trigger to give less fatigue while using the saw.
- The pole saw has a heavy-duty 8 blade that is stronger and thicker than a regular saw blade.
- The pole saw has a telescoping pole from about 4 ft to roughly 16 ft which makes it very versatile, hence making it able to reach objects with ease.
- It includes a metal chain bar and an automatic oiling system that lubricates with oil automatically.
Hedge Trimmer Features
- It has a powerful 13 amp motor.
- It comes with two-sided rotating blades for faster cutting through wood easily.
- The hedge trimmer has a heavy-duty 10 in a blade that is stronger and thicker than a regular saw blade.
- It can cut branches up to 3/8 inch diameter with ease.
- It includes a 20V Lithium-ion battery for a longer run time, so it has no oiling system as seen in gas-operated machines.
If you are looking for fast results then I recommend buying a gas-powered saw that doesn’t require oil and gasoline because they are very efficient at cutting through most things with ease even if they aren’t as portable because you can run them off a generator to make electricity.
But if you want the job done faster with less effort, then I would recommend buying an electric-powered saw because it will get the job done much faster and with much less arm and shoulder pain.